Sunday, May 21, 2017

Immunization = Saves Kid's Lives


      After having 4 kids of my own keeping their vaccinations was very important for me.  I am the type of mom that will always use my calendar to remind me of each of my kid’s vaccinations.  I understood there were known cases in which children were affected by a vaccine.  For example, some kids after a certain vaccine they have had a tragic case in which there were no longer able to talk, walk or even developed mental disorders after a vaccine but I believe that the benefits outweigh the risks when children are vaccinated against spreading diseases.  I truly believe that vaccines save more kids’ lives then kids not being vaccinating and catching a disease which could be deadly.  I do have to be honest that every time my kids got a vaccination I would be really scare that the vaccine will have a dangerous effect on them so I would watch them for a few days and at night I would take little naps so I can be checking on them.  I am very grateful that my kids never suffer any adverse consequences with any of the vaccinations they received. 




 
In researching further on vaccines in third world countries the country that really grabbed my attention was Africa.  The website World Health Organization Regional Office for Africa pointed out that an estimate of three million children die each year under the age of five.  The high death of children in Africa could be prevented if children were vaccine.  It was sad to find out that many regions in Africa do not have access to vaccines or they lack the proper information on the benefits of vaccines.  In 2013 over 145,700 deaths occur and of those deaths 38,000 deaths happened in Africa due to measles.  I am sharing the website in case you are interested in reading the entire article http://www.afro.who.int/en/media-centre/afro-feature/item/7620-1-in-5-children-in-africa-do-not-have-access-to-life-saving-vaccines.html

 

 

Many people are still skeptical about vaccines and I know of many parents that do not keep up with their own kid’s vaccines.  I believe that there is so much evidence that shows that vaccines saves children’s lives so why put your own kids live at risk.  I believe that becoming aware of the many children that die in Africa because of the lack of vaccination available to them has really opened my eyes to make parents aware and inform them of the necessity for them to keep up with their kid’s vaccines.    









2 comments:

  1. Janet,
    I think every parent worries about the side effects of vaccinations or any medication for that matter. With any medication it will react differently in each individuals, but the benefits outweigh the risk. I think that children should be vaccinated and help to protect the world as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,
    Thank you for sharing the website and your story. It's sad to learned that so many children die because they weren't vaccinated. Parents should be aware of the importance vaccination has in the health of the child. Parents should be educated on the importance of vaccination. So many lives would be safe if we take this matter seriously.

    ReplyDelete

EDUC -6990 Capstone Week 8

Time Well Spent       As I reflect on my educational throughout every course, I took at Walden University I believe it was all a tim...