Saturday, September 16, 2017

My Personal Blog

My name is Janet I want to share a part of who I am.  The first two pictures are me graduating from preschool proud class of "1976". 





These three pictures are memories of my childhood.  I loved playing with dolls and liked to dress up and participate in school activities.  The picture of me dressed as a grandma was from a Christmas parade I participated in. The picture of me dressed in a Spanish dress was when I was representing Spain in a folklore dance. 
 



QUOTE
I chose this quote because as I look back, I see a playful girl that knew nothing about life.  A girl that became a woman and discovered a treasure of childhood memories.   


MY FAVORITE BOOK
This is a picture that I just took of my favorite book, it sits in my home office library. I used to love to read this book over and over again.  The man in the cover was Captain Mac.  He reminded me so much of my grandpa. I liked to play pretend when I read the stories that he was my grandpa.





MY TOUCHED HEART 
 
The following three pictures below is my daughter Bryanna Janet.  When Bryanna was born she was not breathing because the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck.  It was very scary not to know what was happening at the time.  I could see the doctors and nurses reacting quickly as they worked diligently to resuscitate her, I thank God for guiding their hands. At that time, I was told by the doctor that those crucial seconds she was not breathing could or couldn't affect her but he wasn't sure how.

During 1st grade the teacher notice that Bryanna had difficulty learning but the school never did anything to help her out.  During her second grade, I decided to have her privately test, after many assessments and tests it was determined that Bryanna had a learning disability.  From that day forward I committed myself to see my daughter succeed in school.  I made sure that the school placed her on an IEP.  It has not been an easy road for Bryanna because she struggles with reading, decoding, and comprehending.  Even though Bryanna told me many times that she would never make it in school and graduate from high school, I could still see her determination to make it. 
Her determination and courage to work through the many challenges she had with school is something that I admire because she never gave up. Bryanna has a big heart, she is kind, caring, and loving.  My heart has been touched by my daughter because her perseverance and tenacity to work against her own odds have made her a warrior.
 
Bryanna Graduating from preschool 2003 

                            Bryanna Graduating from High School 2017



We Surprised her with a recognition in the school yearbook



                                           MIGUEL' S PAINTING
 I chose this painting of my son because this was a gift for us from last year.  He started kindergarten last year and the day of his kindergarten graduation he presented us with this painting he created.  I love the story behind the painting.  He painted six birds that represent each of his family members.  We are all suppose to be relaxing on branches looking over the sun having family time.  He is very creative with his drawings and paintings and this one specifically I love because he loves having "family time" and once again his creative mind continues to amaze me. 



            MY SON MIGUEL KINDERGARTEN GRADUATION




                                                    MY PASSION

The curiosity of children in wanting to learn more is what fuels my passion in early childhood education. The cartoon Curious George is one perfect example oh how I relate children's curiosity in wanting to explore and learn. 












3 comments:

  1. Janet, thank you for sharing this! You and your daughter look so alike in those pictures. I'm so glad you were able to help Bryanna succeed in her learning and get her the resources she needed. Congratulations to Bryanna and Miguel for graduating!

    I really like the quote you posted. When I read it I connected it to the classroom. I teach kindergarten and my goal is to make sure that learning is fun and engaging. I think back to my kindergarten days and remember playing, laughing, and making friends, all while I was learning and had no idea. I want the kids to have so much fun they don't even realize they're learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet! I love your daughter's story. I like the fact you took the next step and got her the help she needed. I had a child in my class I recognize that he had an issue, I had a parent teacher conference to info his parents. They were in denial and didn't want any help. Its so hard to try to help someone if the parents aren't willing to get on board. Thanks for sharing.

    Congratulations to both of your children on graduating! I know you are a proud mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,
    Thank you for all of your input and words of wisdom. I love to see how much you fought for your own child and how that has influenced you and has made you a strong advocate for other children. I hope to see you in future courses. Keep in touch!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete

EDUC -6990 Capstone Week 8

Time Well Spent       As I reflect on my educational throughout every course, I took at Walden University I believe it was all a tim...