Sunday, January 28, 2018

Research that Benefits Children and Families



Although I am against in using children for research especially when using them in finding treatments to treat diseases, I do see that there are benefits of research for children that have behavior problems.  I have been working in education for many years and it really sadness me to see many children with ADHD/ADD or even children that have behavior issues and not knowing sometimes as educators how to help these student’s is hard.  This is when research comes in handy for us educators to learn how to assist children with behavior issues, so they can be successful at school.  My interest has really grown in this area. 

I went to Walden Library to seek research material that could help me find answers in this area. I am really interested in knowing what research has found about children’s behavioral disorders.  I believe that it is imperative for me to educate myself further, so I can help support those families that have children with behavioral issues, as well as I can share what I have learned with other early childhood professionals.

After reading several articles, I would like to share one that really sparked my interest Preliminary Investigation of an Early Mental Health Intervention for Head Start Programs: Effects of Child Teacher Relationship Training on Children’s Behavior Problems.  The article talked about the urgent need in identify effective interventions for young children.  The report stated that fifth of US children are diagnosed with a disorder but fewer than that half receive any type of treatment.  So, Head Start has one of the largest early intervention and prevention programs.  The purpose of the study was to investigate several interventions to help tain teachers so they can identify children with behavioral problems as well as for teachers to use some of these interventions with children with behavior disorders  the following methods were used:
   

  •    Play-based early mental health intervent
  •   Caregiver involvement 
  • Child parent relationship therapy
  • CPRT/Filial therapy with teachers


I believe in the importance of supporting positive behaviors and provide children with a positive environment as well as involve parents, so they can support their children.  Research has shown time and time again that parent/teacher involvement and collaboration will support children in a positive way. 

References
Morrison, M. O., & Bratton, S. C. (2010). Preliminary investigation of an early mental health intervention for Head Start programs: effects of child teacher relationship training on children's behavior problems. Psychology In The Schools, 47(10), 1003-1017. doi:10.1002/pits.20520

1 comment:

  1. Hello Janet,
    I appreciate your post. Your post has shined a light to a topic that I myself have ignored. Often times children are being diagnose with these behavior issues when sometimes all they need is reinforcement. I am currently a head start teacher and I can say that our many professional development opportunities has allowed me to know how to deal with a child with a behavior issue. Thank you for the information

    ReplyDelete

EDUC -6990 Capstone Week 8

Time Well Spent       As I reflect on my educational throughout every course, I took at Walden University I believe it was all a tim...