Saturday, July 21, 2018

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture






I decided to speak to three different people that came from different backgrounds.  It was a bit shocking to hear that they defined culture and diversity in the same way.
 The first person is Vietnamese and she told me that she saw culture as traditions and customs they live by, and diversity to her was people from many different cultures.
 The second person I asked he is from India and he said that culture to him was values and traditions as well as language and he described diversity as people from many different countries living in he United States. 
The third person I asked she said it is my heritage and practices I am accustomed to, and diversity to her was getting to know people from many different countries with their own set of traditions. 
As I think about how all three people included the aspects I have studied in the course about how culture and diversity are, no one mentioned anything close to what we have been learning.  I believe that peoples knowledge about culture and diversity all seem to think alike. 
The people I spoke to really lack to mention what we have studied about culture and diversity entails, socio-economics, demographics, roles, identity, and the qualities of individuals. 
I believe that my thinking about culture and diversity has want me to further learn and understand how much deeper it is than just customs and values of people.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

EDUC -6990 Capstone Week 8

Time Well Spent       As I reflect on my educational throughout every course, I took at Walden University I believe it was all a tim...